My mum and sister came to visit last weekend, and instead of birthday cake I made my mum a birthday shortbread flower! I adapted the shortbread recipe from the Be-Ro book, adding some lemon zest and then smothering the whole thing in chocolate, and it worked out quite well, although we started eating it before the chocolate had dried properly…
OK, so it’s not exactly high art, actually it looks a bit like a child’s drawing…but it tasted good!
125g plain flour
90g butter, cut into small pieces
Grated zest of 1 small or 1/2 a large lemon
80g dark chocolate
– Heat the oven to 160c and grease an 8 inch round dish or cake tin, lining the base with greaseproof paper.
– Stir together the flour and sugar, then rub in the butter until it looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the lemon zest.
– Knead the mix until it comes together.
– Roll into a thick sausage shape about 10cm long.
– Cut into 9 slices, and arrange in the dish in a flower shape. Prick the tops with a fork. This is what mine looked like before it went in:
– Spread the remaining chocolate on a sheet of greaseproof paper, spreading with a flat knife or cake slice to make sure it is even. Place the shortbread on top of this and leave to dry.